Monday, July 12, 2004

The Big Shift

We have too much stuff. We really do. But I guess that's not surprising with three teenagers and a kitchen gadget collector in one house. And my home office takes up a lot of room. We move out tomorrow and the packing is well under way. In the midst of this, I am trying to work. Pack a box here, clean out a cupboard there, and then lay out a quick page in between. It's insane. Ideally, of course, I'd be taking a few days off, but being self-emloyed just isn't like that. In particular, you have to look after your regular clients. If I was to turn down a job, they'll have to find someone else to do it, then I may lose that client entirely. There goes the rent money!

Ang is coming over today to help me - that'll be great. And I'll get to show the house off to her. I suspect quite a few people we know will think the house is pretty gross - a pretentious and tacky display of wealth. And they'd probably be right, but if the owners are happy to rent it to us for the incredibly cheap rent that it is, then I'm happy to live in comfort for however long we can stay there. I don't mind living with central heating, views of the sea, loads of room, an indoor swimming pool and all mod cons. The decor is not at all offensive - quite neutral with a few of those coloured "feature walls" in muted tones. (I sound like a real estate agent - maybe I should take up a new career.) I guess what is offensive is the proportions of it all. Quite vast. And the curved walls. We're a bit annoyed with those - not so good for hanging art.

So, next time I post we will be all moved in. Maybe some pics may be in order.



No comments: