Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Commes des Garçons

Listening to: Cat Stevens, Teaser and the Firecat

Paintergirl was doing an interesting exercise in nostalgia, taking a trip down the olfactory memory lane by recounting the perfumes she has worn over the years. I could immediately remember the scents I've worn over the years. My latest perfume was not even chosen by the scent but by the concept - I read about it in a magazine and thought "yep, that's for me". Good grief, don't I sound like the most despicable consumer. Anyway, here's the description of the scent. I've been wearing it ever since and have to send away for the stuff since I can't buy it anywhere in NZ.

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons
Stray from the traditional and opt for the extraordinary. This bold "anti-perfume" combines 71 modern and classic "odeurs" to yield a unique and provocative fragrance for men and women. This ultraurban scent spins together the cloned inorganic smells of modern daily life and mixes them with natural ingredients for a futuristic fragrance.
Moss, Bamboo, Bay Leaf, Willow, Elm and Birch, with Photocopy Toner, Dust on a Lightbulb, Electric Toaster and Ink.
A cool, contemporary scent for the modern man and woman.

Anti-perfume? Where the hell do they come up with this stuff?

2 comments:

paintergirl said...

Does it really say that? Now I have to go find a sample of this. Photocopy toner? Moss, bay leaf, willow. I once bought Jos a cologne from a description.

Rose said...

Yes, it really does! I also have Odeur 53, where it all started. Here's a little piece I found on that one:

Sure, anyone can take natural ingredients and mix them up to make smell-good water, but it takes balls to chemically engineer your own scents to create a new fragrance. Using this new technique, Commes des Garçons Odeur 53 ($86) features notes from a wide range of scents, including Sand Dunes, Metal, Oxygen, and Wash Drying in the Wind. Apart from being environmentally friendly and smelling really good, there’s always something to be said for being able to claim you smell like “Metal and Nail Polish.”